* A flu vaccine is available free on the NHS for:
- anyone over the age of 65
- pregnant women
- children and adults with an underlying health condition (particularly long-term heart or respiratory disease)
- children and adults with weakened immune systems
- adults over the age of 18 at risk of flu (including everyone over 65)
- children aged six months to two years at risk of flu
- children aged two to 18 years at risk of flu
- healthy children aged two, three and four years old
It is given as an annual injection to:
The flu vaccine is also given as an annual nasal spray to:
Despite popular belief, the flu vaccine cannot give you flu as it doesn't contain the active virus needed to do this.
The flu vaccine is available from October each year.